Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Sharing our Talents

Titus 2:3-5 encourages women to teach other women - or in my case today, a little girl.

Tuesdays, I look after a little girl named Rachel. She's five, and lives on the nearby reserve. Her brother, A.J., drops her off at our home on his way to Conestoga College.

Today, we listened to the Suzuki Volume 2 cassette tapes (what can I say, I'm old school) - not all of it, of course! We listened to the theme from Judas Maccabeus and the Hunter's Chorus. Hunter's Chorus was her idea - she likes the uptempo melody - whereas I chose Judas Maccabeus because it's better suited to her skill level.

She proudly plays her songs for A.J. and her grandmother, but she still hasn't even mastered how to hold the frog of the bow.

It's adorable, though. It's moments like that when I dream about having one... or two... or five or six... of my own.

That said, Miss Rachel does not follow the Bible. Her grandmother follows the pagan Six Nations religion. Rachel and A.J. marginally follow Catholic teachings.

But sometimes, leading people to Christ isn't just about telling them "this is what's right." It's about doing what's right. Looking for ways to help people, even if they do things that you disagree with.

Perhaps Rachel and A.J. will never come to Christ. Perhaps they will. But as a Christian, we must never give someone a reason to avoid Christ, or to think Christianity is a religion devoted to conversion, without the love to back it up.

* I must note that my father or mother supervises when A.J. or Rachel visit, and pre-approve my violin lessons. Your father will be able to tell you if a particular person will be a negative influence or distraction from Godly behaviour.

No comments:

Post a Comment